Maida Appam or Hoppers
Maida Appam or Hoppers, is a sweet dish popular among Tamil food.
Maida – 1 cup
Rava – One handful / 3 table spoon
Sugar – 3/4 cup
Sesame seeds – 1 spoon
Egg – 1 (Or) Ripe Banana – 1 (For vegetarians)
Cooking soda – 1/2 Spoon
Cashew nuts (option)
Refined oil – 1/2 kg to fry the appam
Method of preparation
• Soak the rava in 1/2 cup of water keep aside for 5 - 10 minutes.
• Add maida into the soaked rava mix and stir well mashing any lumps. Add sugar little by little into this and stir well. Add egg, sesame seeds and fried cashew nuts into this mixture and mix well. Keep this aside for 10 minutes.
• Put a pan on the stove and pour refined oil into this. Heat the oil.
• Take a laddle of dough and pour into the oil. Fry till the appam becomes golden brown on both sides. Can make 4 to 5 appams at a time. Take the appams and place them in a plate to serve.
• Instead of egg we can add mashed ripe banana into this mixture.