Aguada Fort, Goa
Aguada Fort was built by the Portuguese in 1612 and stands on the beach at Candolim flanked by the bank of the Mandovi River in the district of North Goa in Goa state, India. The fort was constructed to guard against the Dutch and the Marathas. The name Aguada which means water in Portuguese came from the small spring within the fort which provided fresh water supply to the ships. The fort at present houses the state’s central jail. A 19th century built lighthouse is situated inside the fortress.