Festival at St. George Orthodox Church, Puthuppalli
Situated on the eastern bank of a rivulet called Kodoorar is the Puthuppalli Church, popular as ‘Puthuppalli Palli’ (palli in Malayalam means church/mosque) or ‘Puthuppalli Valiyapalli’ in the local language Malayalam. The church underwent renovation on five occasions after it was constructed in CE 1557.
First, in the name of St. Mary and later in the name of Mar Bahanan Sahada, the church is now dedicated to St. George, retaining the main portions of Mar Bahanan Church. Later, this devotional church rose to fame. Again, in CE 2003 the church was reconstructed to become a composite shrine of the aforementioned three names.
The video here shows the annual ‘Puthuppalli Perunnal’, which is celebrated every year on the 6th and 7th of May.
How to reach:
Nearest railway station: Kottayam.
Nearest airport: Cochin International Airport, about 85 km.