J J School of Arts and Architecture, Mumbai
J.J school of Arts and Architecture in Mumbai (Bombay) is one of the older institutions and was originated in 1857. This arts school was named after Sir Jamsetjee Jeejebhoy, a philanthropist, who financed for the formation of this institution. The class for drawing began on March 2, 1857 at the Elphinstone institution.
In 1866, the management of the school was taken over by the Government of India. Later in 1878 the school moved to the current building from the Elphinstone institution. This building was erected in the Gothic style of architecture.
Many well-known designers from western part of India are the products of this school. Some of them were involved in the creation of Victoria Terminus building. Today this institution is affiliated to Mumbai University.