Known for its exquisite temples, Khajuraho, a small town in Madhya Pradesh, India, attracts many visitors. These temples were built by the Chandella rulers between 900 AD and 1130 AD.
The first recorded mention of the Khajuraho temples is in the travel writings of Abu Rihan al Baruni (AD 1022) and the Arab traveller Ibn Battuta (AD 1335).
According to local tradition, there were 85 temples in the area. But now only 25 of them survive in various stages of preservation. However, in the surroundings of Khajuraho, one may still see the remains of those dilapidated temples, never losing their glory of antiquity.
The temples of Khajuraho are remarkable for their artistic structure and beautiful sculptures. The Khajuraho group of temples has been included in the World Heritage List for their outstanding universal value and human creative genius.