Raw rice- 1 cup
Skinless black gram (urad dhal):- 1/4 cup
Parboiled rice – 1 handful
Sesame seeds / Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Butter / Dalda - 100 Grams
Salt to taste
Cooking Oil - 1 Kg (preferably sunflower oil)
Water for kneading flour
You need a “Murukku Maker” for making this snack
Method of preparation
• Roast the urad dhal in a frying pan till light brown in colour. Also roast parboiled rice.
• Grind roast black gram, roast parboiled rice and raw rice to a fine powder in a blender.
• Mix the flour, salt sesame seeds / cumin seeds, butter / dalda and water till you have a smooth dough with no lumps.
• Heat the oil in a frying pan over high flame.
• Take a small ball of dough in the murukku maker. Squeeze and move the murukku maker in a circular motion to make small twisted murukkus.
• Make 5 or 6 of these directly onto a wet cloth or in a plate with enough gap between murukkus.
• Carefully drop the murukkus one at a time into the hot oil. Turn them over so that both sides turn golden brown in color. Remove and drain the excess oil and store the murukkus in airtight containers.