Valakkai Puttu or Raw banana puttu
Nadan Valakkai (raw banana) – 2
Green chilli – 3 - 4 nos ( Chopped)
Mustard seeds – 1/2 sp
Urad dhal (Black Gram) – 1/2 sp
Cumin – 1/2 spoon
Green Chillies – 2
Pepper powder – 1/4 spoon
Shallots (Chopped) – 2 spoon
Refined Oil – 2-3 spoon,
Grated Coconut – one handful / ¼ cup
Salt to taste
Method of Preparation
• Chop green chillies and shallots into small pieces.
• Put the whole banana in water and cook for 5 - 6 minutes. When the skin of the banana gets black then switch off the fire and let it cool.
• Peal the skin and grate the valakkai with a grater.
• Put a pan on fire and pour 2 spoons of refined oil into it. Put mustard seeds and urad dhal (black gram) in it.
• When mustard crackles add cumin, pepper powder, curry leaves and chopped green chillies and shallots in it one by one. Saute for some time.
• When the shallots are sauted add grated banana and salt to taste and mix well. Finally add the grated coconut , mix well and switch off the fire.
• This is a good combination for sambar rice.