Raw rice – 1 cup (175 grams.)
Green gram dhal – 50 grams
Milk – 1 cup
Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 3 table spoons
Brown (unrefined) sugar – 300 grams
Cardamom – 4 nos
Cashews and raisins – 20 grams
Grated Coconut – ½ cup
Water – 3 ½ cups
Method of preparation
• Wash rice and dhal together 3 - 4 times.
• Cook the rice and dhal together adding 3 cups of water and one cup of milk in cooker.
• In a heavy-bottomed vessel add ¼ cup of water and crushed brown sugar and keep it on a low flame.
• When the brown sugar melts completely, strain and remove the impurities.
• Open the cooker after letting out the steam and mash the cooked rice and dhal.
• Add brown sugar syrup to this mixture slowly and stir well.
• Add 3 spoons of ghee, fried cashew nuts and cardamom to this mix . Finally add grated coconut and combine well. Sakkarai Pongal is ready to serve.