Sunda Vathal (Dry turkey berry) – a handful
Shallots – 10
Tomatoes – 3
Chilli powder – 2 table spoon
Coriander powder – 3
Turmeric powder – 1 tea spoon
Garlic – 10 cloves
Fenugreek seeds – 1 tea spoon
Mustard seeds – ½ tea spoon
Skinless black gram - ½ tea spoon
Tamarind – a small ball
Gingelly oil – 3 table spoon
Curry leaves – 3 sprigs
Salt to taste
Method of preparation
- Pour 3 table spoons of gingelly oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, skinless black gram, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves.
- Add washed and clean dry turkey berries to it.
- Add shallots and garlic. Sauté.
- Add sliced tomatoes and salt to taste.
- When the tomatoes are cooked add turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder and stir well.
- Add a little water to tamarind, mash with you hand. Pour the juice into the pan and cook till oil comes on top of the curry.
- Vatha kulambu is ready to serve with rice.