The Cheriya Palli of Kottayam
The St. Mary’s Church of Kottayam, known locally as Kottayam Cheriyapalli, is one of the oldest churches of Kerala in South India. The building was given to the local Portuguese by Thekkumkur Maharaja, the then ruler of the small principality surrounding the area of the present day Kottayam.
The architectural style of Cheriyapalli is distinctively European, with large galleries, gables, pillars, and cornices.
The walls of the church are full of murals depicting biblical scenes and other general themes. The Portuguese made it operational in 1579.