Brahma Temple, Khajuraho
Khajuraho is synonymous with its temples with intricate sculptures. It is assumed that there were 85 temples in Khajuraho. Now 25 of them exist. They were built during the reign of Chandella rulers between AD 900 and 1130.
Presumably built in AD 900, the Brahma temple at Khajuraho belongs to the eastern group of temples. Though there is a holy linga (symbol of Lord Shiva) enshrined in the sanctum sanctorum now, the carvings of Lord Vishnu on the lintel of the sanctum makes one believe that it was originally devoted to Lord Vishnu, the Protector.
The Sikhara (spire) of the temple is made of sandstone and the body is made of granite. The sanctum is cruciform externally, with projections on each side and square internally, resting on 12 plain pilasters of granite.
Except for its striking carvings on the Brahmanical trinity and the Goddesses of Yamuna and Ganga, the doorway is unadorned.