Pride of Kannur: St. Angelo's Fort
A seafront fort constructed with laterite soil that gives it its particular reddish hue, St. Angelo's Fort was constructed by the first Portuguese Viceroy, Don Francisco De Almeda, in 1505 with the consent of the then ruling Kolathiri Raja of Kannur. The British rebuilt the fort in the 1790s and made it their most important station in Malabar.
The fort is recognized as a historical monument and is well preserved as a protected monument under the Archaeological Survey of India.
Underground jails, secret tunnels to the sea, a watch tower, and an old dilapidated chapel are some of the historic treasures that visitors to the fort can expect to see. The fort offers a spectacular view of Mappila Bay fishing harbour and is a popular stop for tourists who visit this part of Kerala.
St. Angelo’s Fort faces the Arabian Sea and is located about 3 km from Kannur city.