Khajuraho Group of Monuments
Khajuraho, the ancient Kharjjuravahaka, is located in the State of Madhya Pradesh. The temples at Khajuraho were built during the Chandella dynasty, which reached its apogee between 950 and 1050. Only about 20 temples remain and they fall into three distinct groups and belong to two different religions – Hinduism and Jainism. They strike a perfect balance between architecture and sculpture. Originally there were 85 temples, of which only 22 still exist.
The largest and grandest temple of Khajuraho is the immortal Kandariya Mahadeva, which is attributed to King Ganda (C.E. 1017-29). The Temple of Kandariya is decorated with a profusion of sculptures that are among the greatest masterpieces of Indian art.
Yasovarman (C.E. 954) built the temple of Vishnu, which is now famous as Lakshmana Temple, and is an ornate and evolved example of its time proclaiming the prestige of the Chandellas. The Visvanatha, Parsvanatha and Vaidyanatha Temples belong to the time of King Dhanga, the successor of Yasovarman. The Jagadambi, Chitragupta, are noteworthy among the western group of royal temples of Khajuraho.
The Khajuraho group of temples is noted for lofty terraces (jagati) and functionally effective plans. The sculptural embellishments include, besides the cult images; parivara, parsva, avarana devatas, dikpalas, the apsarases and sura-sundaris, which won universal admiration for their delicate, youthful female forms of ravishing beauty. The attire and ornamentation embrace the winsome grace and charm.