- Gandhi Says Earthquake A Punishment
- Gandhi Resigned From Congress
- Last Day In Gandhi's Life – II
- Gandhi For Rural Reconstruction
- People Disillusioned In Congress Rule In Provinces
- Gandhi Defines Congress
- Gandhi's Son Embraces Islam
- Gandhi As A Person
- Gandhi, Congress And Second World War
- Hindu-Muslim Divide, British Target
- Gandhi Demands Better Approach To India
- Read More ...
Gandhi defines congress
The most important reason for the Hindu-Muslim rift is the feeling that Congress is the only Indian national political party. Is not this correct, asked a European journalist. Gandhi told him: They say it so just because they have not any clear idea about what Congress is? Congress is the only organization that represents all the Indians. It is the only organization that can speak with authority on matters Indian.
But this does not mean that Congress is an autocratic party. Right from its inception, this party has sought to represent all Indians, and all its communities. If the Muslim League wants to dissolve the Congress into it, fine. Congress will gladly welcome it. If it is the other way round, that too is fine. For religious or for social purposes there can be separate organizations.
That was typical of Gandhi. Note this, Gandhi said all this when he was not happy with the goings on within the party.